Do chicks like music and if so what kind?

metalman488

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 2, 2014
Texas
Okay so I read online, and on this website somewhere, that chickens like to listen to music. I've been testing different types of music to see what they like, but I can't seem to find a favorite. The first time I played Miles Davis they all sit down (there were nine of them), but for a lot of the music they just got halfway between the opposite side of the brooder and the speakers. I heard that they like country and bluegrass music, but when I tried some of that they reacted the same way as when I played some Metallica or Skrillex. Yes I tried dubstep just for the heck of it. They didn't seem to hate it, but they didn't love it which is fine because I don't like it anyway. ;) So do any of you let your chickens/chicks listen to music? Does it affect them at all? and What kind do they like the most?

This is interesting hope others add to it.

Last year my Great Niece was the chick Momma, they seemed to like Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, Nickelback, some country and I think it was Black Veiled Brides. There were some others I can't think of, but they listened to what she listened to while caring for them. They still tilt their heads when she is in coop with mp3 player.

This year I'm the Momma, and they settle down whn Dancing in the Moonlight is playing - kinda cute. Have an Oldie mix from 60's, 70's they calm down to and lay down. Then when Staind, Godsmack, Nickelback, Daughtry, Garth, Tracy Adkins, other new country the newer Ozzie it looks like a chick mosh pit. Running around playing being active.

Talk radio they are looking up for the voices, meditation they look like they are total zen. Music is always on somewhere in our house and I think they do like some artists more than others. Had radio by the brooder and the bass makes them move. No don't have it loud, comfortable listening level, unable to hear it in another room. Chicks can be heard over the sound.

I have music on for my chickens every day. They were pretty jumpy when I played metal for them! I thought it would make them more active and better producers but they were just nervous wrecks. Bands like Lamb of God made them freak out and Tool put them in a coma. What I did find is my chickens like pop "music" the most. It kept their aggression levels way down, egg production increased, and the flock is happier in general. What can I say, chicks like to dance.

Back
Top Bottom