Do chicks personalities stick?

GoofyNewt

Songster
Feb 25, 2018
Right now I have 13 chicks and 4 ducklings. My black australorps seem to be the friendliest because they always think I'm about to give them a treat. The Cornish crosses are very rambunctious and are tiny bull dosers. My ducklings seem to be a little more distant, but cute none the less.
I know they have a chance of getting more/less friendly, but will their personalities stay the same?

Chickens usually have the same personality as they age,but do go through teen stages where they can have aggression issues,be flightly,and less like the way they’re were literally twenty four hours ago,yes one day you may wake up and have feral acting chickens or abnormal behavior acting ones,then as a few weeks or few months pass you wake up to chickens wanting to fly and sit on you,eat from your hands,follow you around and etc.Even though some do this not all are,all though it does happen a lot.

Ducks will probably be so distant they may come home to a call and you might just get them to eat from your hand,but a lot are nothing compared to how friendly chickens can be.

Chickens usually have the same personality as they age,but do go through teen stages where they can have aggression issues,be flightly,and less like the way they’re were literally twenty four hours ago,yes one day you may wake up and have feral acting chickens or abnormal behavior acting ones,then as a few weeks or few months pass you wake up to chickens wanting to fly and sit on you,eat from your hands,follow you around and etc.Even though some do this not all are,all though it does happen a lot.

x2

Ducks will probably be so distant they may come home to a call and you might just get them to eat from your hand,but a lot are nothing compared to how friendly chickens can be.

I have 21 ducks and each one is filled with personality. When I sit down in their run they come up and nibble my feet and hair, and love being hand fed. I even have some that like to be cuddled and held. Ducks are just as friendly as chickens if you treat them right, they just don't like sudden movements because it scares them. Ducks are kind of like horses, you have to gain their trust.

Maybe that’s my issue,I just don’t have patience, because gaining a Chickens trust can be done within a day or a week,gaining a Ducks seems to take forever,literally just to get some to out my hands it can take a few months,tried so hard with some of my anconas,was patient and everything (Probably the hardest things I have LITERALLY ever tried so hard to make actual pets.),and they are just to the point they might just walk past me,it’s quite ridiculous.Other then that their just fun anaimls to watch and their eggs make great cakes!

I have had two ducklings be as friendly as you have mentioned
I have 21 ducks and each one is filled with personality. When I sit down in their run they come up and nibble my feet and hair, and love being hand fed. I even have some that like to be cuddled and held. Ducks are just as friendly as chickens if you treat them right, they just don't like sudden movements because it scares them. Ducks are kind of like horses, you have to gain their trust.

Even though they may not act exactly the same, they will still have the same attitude, character, habits, etc.

I hatched some Ayam Cemani's last summer, and they were all flighty and skittish. After bonding with them for 2 or 3 months, they became total sweethearts! I have noticed that one of my Ayam Cemani roosters still has the dominance he showed when he was 2 weeks old, and he is ruler of the roost now (with 30+ chickens).

I have 4 bantam chicks now (Old English Games and Cochins), of the OEG chicks has been acting very dominant, and it is always the last one to fall asleep and the first one to wake up. Anytime a person or a cat walks by, he will look up and give out a little 'warning shrill', I am keeping a sharp eye on this chick, for I am suspecting that I may have a little roo on my hands ;)

So their personalities essentially stay the same :)

Maybe that’s my issue,I just don’t have patience, because gaining a Chickens trust can be done within a day or a week,gaining a Ducks seems to take forever,literally just to get some to out my hands it can take a few months,tried so hard with some of my anconas,was patient and everything (Probably the hardest things I have LITERALLY ever tried so hard to make actual pets.),and they are just to the point they might just walk past me,it’s quite ridiculous.Other then that their just fun anaimls to watch and their eggs make great cakes!

I have had two ducklings be as friendly as you have mentioned

I have to admit I’m not the most patient person either. I guess I’ve had an easier time because I’ve had most of my ducks since they hatched from eggs or when they were only a couple of days old and they imprinted on me from day one. It’s true though chickens are much more trusting birds. How old were your Anconas when you got them?

Back
Top Bottom