Hen hatched 2 chicks. Am I doing this right?

rthepunk

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 6, 2014
We introduced a rooster to the flock about two years ago. Until now, none of the hens stayed broody for more than a week. This year, the top hen went broody. The other day, my husband said, you have two chicks walking around in the run with their mom. Sure enough. I have no idea how they got down the tall ramp from the coop. They only seemed about two days old. But, I could be wrong.

I tried to separate the hen and the 2 chicks into a second smaller coop where I could ensure they had medicated feed and water. Well, catching mom was easy, but I could not catch the chicks. They moved really fast. The run is huge, about 20 feet by 20 feet and I am a senior citizen.

so, I left them in the run putting a low chick feeder and waterer in the area where they hang out the most. Which is in a shaded spot just inches from the coop which they can hide under if they wish.

Mom is very good and none of the other chickens bother them. They don’t go in the coop at night but they stay under mom near the food and coop.

I am thinking this is about the best I can do at this point. Any advise or anything I can read on hens raising chicks.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom