Do chooks like honeydew melon?

Welllllllllllllll..... it is a WHOLE melon, and it's pretty sizeable.... I'll give the chooks a slice to see if they like it. If they do I'll give em some more. But yeah, I'll definitely be eating some"
We eat the melon hearts.. and give the less sweet parts.. to the birds.. they eat it down to a very thin rind usually.. Hard part keeping the flesh side facing up..

It's a nice hydrating treat.. that can even be frozen in summer time.. or hung from something so they have to jump and work the enrichment as well. ;)

Use the fridge.. and extend the life and use of the melon if your flock is smallish. Remembering it's more just fluid and enrichment then actual nourishment.

Frozen peas (defrosted during winter or frozen into bigger ice cubes or block during summer), Hanging corn on the cob or head of cabbage, even egg plants, squash, pumpkin, persimmons, apples, etc.. Noting anything cut into too small of pieces passes through the gizzard too quickly for maximum nutrient absorption (like grated carrots, small diced would be better). Some things they will break down into the right size themselves.. once the first "blood" is drawn and they discover its' deliciousness. Other things won't get touched unless broken down enough.. like carrots or a banana with the peel still on, or a melon or squash not busted open.. you get the idea.. :)

I like RIPE cantaloupe. If it isn't sweet.. it reminds me more of a cucumber and salt helps me enjoy it.

My birds LOVE the middle seeds in cantaloupe!!! :drool

We eat the melon hearts.. and give the less sweet parts.. to the birds.. they eat it down to a very thin rind usually.. Hard part keeping the flesh side facing up..

It's a nice hydrating treat.. that can even be frozen in summer time.. or hung from something so they have to jump and work the enrichment as well. ;)

Use the fridge.. and extend the life and use of the melon if your flock is smallish. Remembering it's more just fluid and enrichment then actual nourishment.

Frozen peas (defrosted during winter or frozen into bigger ice cubes or block during summer), Hanging corn on the cob or head of cabbage, even egg plants, squash, pumpkin, persimmons, apples, etc.. Noting anything cut into too small of pieces passes through the gizzard too quickly for maximum nutrient absorption (like grated carrots, small diced would be better). Some things they will break down into the right size themselves.. once the first "blood" is drawn and they discover its' deliciousness. Other things won't get touched unless broken down enough.. like carrots or a banana with the peel still on, or a melon or squash not busted open.. you get the idea.. :)

I like RIPE cantaloupe. If it isn't sweet.. it reminds me more of a cucumber and salt helps me enjoy it.

My birds LOVE the middle seeds in cantaloupe!!! :drool
Yay! Thanks for all the insight. We have millions of apples from our trees but our pick hens don't like them (eye roll). Oh well, sweetcorn seems to be a favourite of theirs but they won't touch carrots either. I will most certainly use the fridge. We only have four chooks :)

Back
Top Bottom