Do/Did you track how many eggs you were getting?

stone_family3

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 11, 2011
New York
I have a small flock, 5 average size and 2 banties, and I just started tracking their egg laying. I'd like to eventually sell some extra eggs, but I need know on average how much I am getting.

DH thinks I'm crazy.

I don't think you're crazy at all. After a year of keeping chickens and trying to remember who lays what and who's broody when, I finally started to keep a notebook that I call "chicken stats and stories". That way I keep track of who's doing what and write down anecdotes about them.

big_smile.png

Don't know if this is MORE complicated, but I just found out (thanks to BYC) about a website that helps you track. eggzy.net It's still in the beta testing phase, but so far it's pretty cool. You can track per chicken, or just how many eggs total. Also can input feed costs, and it will contact folks if you have extra eggs to sell. Still new to me, super easy since I'm on the computer everyday anyhow, but pretty neat so far!

All I know is Sept. 1st. I got my first egg from my BR, 5 days later the next one came, and 6 days later the 3rd one arrived. After that, she laid for 5, took a day off, then laid for 6, took a day off, by this time, BR #2 started laying, a week later #3 started laying. So for almost a month, it was one hen, then by week 6 I had 3 hens laying. Then 4 of 6 BO started in, and this week, one of my EE started laying.

So I have at least 8 hens out of 14 laying, and since Sept. 1st till tonight, I have gotten 195 eggs.

Quote:
Ok now I am going to have to get a notebook and start keeping track
tongue.png
It seemed easy at first...now I can't remember anything it is all a blur. Great idea Thanks in advance since I know I will really appreciate it this later.

I try to keep track and at first it was easy, I had one laying, then 2, and now I may have 4 or 5 laying, but everyone is still sporadic I don't know who is actually doing it. I'm down from who layed and weight to how many a day and if I got a jelly or not. I know it takes about a month to even out...

Every day I collect eggs and I write down how many I get on a calendar. I don't keep track of each chicken though.

Last edited:
I'm neurotic. I line up my eggs in laying order in the carton and mark down who laid when in my notebook. That way, I can see who lays most regularly, and who has just started, or stopped. It also tells me how many eggs will be in the boxes in the morning when I get up. Oh yeah, I keep track.....
tongue.png

My 7 pullets started laying in July/August, but I didn't think to start keeping track until September. I made a chart on the computer, and each day I put down which ones lay an egg. Earlier today I was thinking that it was getting too complicated. I have 8 more that will start laying sometime in the next couple months, and I think it will be too much to try to track each individual chicken. So I may simplify by tracking how many eggs each day. It IS interesting, though, to look back at the laying pattern for each chicken.

Back
Top Bottom