Do Do you think broody Plymouth Rock (full-size) will be a good mom for bantams?

Show Sebright

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Apr 1, 2020
Orlando FL
Just put 2 sebright and 3 Cochin bantam eggs under my broody. She is a runt full sized Plymouth Rock. Do you this morning she can hatched the tiny babies? Just put them under her today! 🤞🏻hope they hatch🤞🏻also any advice for helping her hatch these babies? How to set up coop? I have a cup of chick feed next to her. She will eat some.

My broodies decide for themselves when and how long they are off the nest.
Everybody's broody set up is different so we may do different things.
I have a broody hutch.
Right now my banty hen Pumpkin, has 8 chicks. Some hers some full size eggs.
She takes the chicks out now a couple times a day for food and water.
20210503_190243.jpg 20210503_190318.jpg 20210503_190338.jpg

she will be fine.

I separate my broodies into a safe brooding place and lift them off the nest once a day for 10 to 20 mins to eat, drink and poop. Other than that, it's all down to them. In lockdown, I'll put food and water within reach but only for a short time so the chicks don't hatch and drown.

Bear in mind your bantam eggs may hatch as early as day 18.

So she gets up for 30 min each day. She gose down stairs and eats and drinks. She even told a dust bath. But it is so hot her that I have water near her and the chick feed close by too.

This is the inside set up. We are planning to make a 5 inch tall L shaped wall for the babies. And the mom can leave is she wants. What brand of medicated chick feed do you use.

Attachments

• 7617D6D8-A43F-4338-8155-648F89C2510C.jpeg
    7617D6D8-A43F-4338-8155-648F89C2510C.jpeg
    526.2 KB · Views: 6
She looks like she is in her own box. She cannot carry eggs from another box to hers. No opposable thumbs!

The other hens are laying in her box.

Have you marked the eggs you put under her?

I still recommend moving her to an area of her own or you'll be fishing out new eggs from under her every day. And that could prove risky if she gets too many and lets the original eggs get cold.

Back
Top Bottom