Do/don't Double Stack Incubator????

newchickens2009

Songster
12 Years
May 18, 2009
BAHAMAS
I AM STILL NEW TO INCUBATING AND LOOKING FOR SOME EXPERT ADVICE PLEASE? I WAS JUST IN FL AND BOUGHT SOME HATCHING EGGS FOR ME AND MY SON TO HATCH. TO MY SUPRISE WE GOT SOME FOR CHRISTMAS AND NOW I HAVE 72 EGGS AND AN INCUBATOR (HOVA BATOR STILL AIR) WITH AN AUTO TURNER THAT ONLY HOLDS 42. CAN I DOUBLE STACK THE EGGS ON TOP OF EACHOTHER OR SHOULD I ONLY PUT IN 42 OF THEM? I DON'T WANT TO DOUBLE STACK IF IT WILL RUIN THE HATCH, BUT ALSO DON'T WANT NOT TO IF IT WILL BE OK AND I CAN GET ALOT MORE BABY CHICKS. ANT HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!! THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS!!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
No stacking. I would candle at 5 days, cull any that show no signs of progress and get as many of the others as I could into the bator. that is only IF you can't find, borrow, or steal(just kidding) another bator from someone!

I think that if you are willing to hand turn them you could most likely fit more than 42 in there by leaving out the turner and lying them on their sides. Mark them with an X and an O to keep track of turning and turn them an odd number of times (at least 3) daily.

Quote:
Not sure that you could stack them without some damages plus you won't have room to hatch them if you have more than the capacity of the bator. Do you already have some of them incubating? If so, how long have they been in? Any idea how old either batch of eggs is?

I stacked a few on top of the eggs in the egg turner this last hatch, since they didn't turn like the others, I turned them 3 times a day. Almost all of them hatched but I probably wouldn't do it again.

Not Incubating Yet, Will Put Eggs In Tomorrow. I Don't Have Access To Another Bator And Can't Turn By Hand Since I Capt A Tug Boat And Sometimes There Is A Day Or Two That No One Is At Home.

Quote:
I second this idea! Fill it up then candle and take out what isn't growing and add the rest....that's what I would do.

THIS DOES SOUND LIKE A GOOD IDEA JUST WISH I KNEW WHICH ONES WERE THE FRESHES SINCE THEY WERE COLLECTED FROM THE 20TH TO THE 28TH OF DECEMBER.

Back
Top Bottom