Do drakes ever get along?

FunQuail

Songster
Sep 23, 2018
Kansas
:frow Hi,
I have 2 groups. My 9, 8 girls and River (boy). Then my 2 drakes Alaska and Skylar have their own pen and stay in it all the time. I've tried to get them integrated for the winter and then probably going back to the 2 boys being separated. But Alaska and Skylar fight with River and the girls except for one of the girls, Aspen because they were raised together. If you have more females do drakes get along? I know the current ratio won't work at all during spring and summer. Skylar and Alaska get along pretty well and don't fight much, because they were raised together.
Alaska, Skylar, Aspen 19 weeks
Iris and River 15 weeks
Serafina, Shadow, Pearl, Dakota, Aster, Lilly 12 weeks

Blue Swedish: Serafina, Shadow, Pearl, Dakota, Aster.
Welsh Harlequin: Iris and River.
Hybrid White Layer: Alaska, Skylar, Aspen, Lilly.
Thank you!:)
Kelly

I guess my best answer is 'sometimes'. That is more common if they are raised together from ducklings. It is every drakes desire to arrange things so that his DNA gets to carry on. That can result in dominance fighting and gang breeding of duck hens.

I guess my best answer is 'sometimes'. That is more common if they are raised together from ducklings. It is every drakes desire to arrange things so that his DNA gets to carry on. That can result in dominance fighting and gang breeding of duck hens.
Thank you! :)

Yeah, and even removing females doesn't guarantee a thing. I have an all drake flock of scovies(this is what i call the dwindling flock... ) they are what is left of a once extensive Muscovy flock.

They are a handful, I don't think a day goes by someone isn't tossing up somewhere...

On the flip side, i have a few pairs of call drakes as i removed them due to babies and they get along but it's not breeding season and they aren't with females so that settles things down a bit.

My Pekin drake is a nightmare to this day i cannot let him loose with the flock, he will still even @ 6yrs old kick up with every other single bird on the property... generally speaking i wouldn't consider him aggressive but with other males he's just insane.

Yeah, and even removing females doesn't guarantee a thing. I have an all drake flock of scovies(this is what i call the dwindling flock... ) they are what is left of a once extensive Muscovy flock.

They are a handful, I don't think a day goes by someone isn't tossing up somewhere...

On the flip side, i have a few pairs of call drakes as i removed them due to babies and they get along but it's not breeding season and they aren't with females so that settles things down a bit.

My Pekin drake is a nightmare to this day i cannot let him loose with the flock, he will still even @ 6yrs old kick up with every other single bird on the property... generally speaking i wouldn't consider him aggressive but with other males he's just insane.
That is good to know. Thank you! :)

What sometimes works on keeping a multiple drake flock? Can you if you have enough females?

Back
Top Bottom