What age do drakes start fighting seriously?

HennyPenny44

Songster
5 Years
Apr 3, 2019
Central New Jersey
I have 3 drakes I hatched out that are 9 1/2 weeks old and 5 females in the same age group. As I was filling up their kiddie pool, I saw 2 of them biting on each others’ chests and necks. No blood but just some feather pulling. They seem to get quite territorial about the pool. I posted on here, on Craigslist and on Facebook if anyone wants 2 drakes in my area but so far, no luck. At what age would the fighting be so bad that separation would be necessary? They’re Welsh Harlequins if it matters at all.

I have 3 drakes I hatched out that are 9 1/2 weeks old and 5 females in the same age group. As I was filling up their kiddie pool, I saw 2 of them biting on each others’ chests and necks. No blood but just some feather pulling. They seem to get quite territorial about the pool. I posted on here, on Craigslist and on Facebook if anyone wants 2 drakes in my area but so far, no luck. At what age would the fighting be so bad that separation would be necessary? They’re Welsh Harlequins if it matters at all.
In my experience drakes start getting aggressive with spring hormone surges. However, for a drake hatched very early in the year, they might start getting a little fractious in the fall. As the days shorten and hormones fall, that friction will settle down until the next year.

With the drakes that have gone through my care, rescuing and rehabbing, all the serious aggression has been in their first spring. Subsequent years, they are more chilled.

In my experience drakes start getting aggressive with spring hormone surges. However, for a drake hatched very early in the year, they might start getting a little fractious in the fall. As the days shorten and hormones fall, that friction will settle down until the next year.

With the drakes that have gone through my care, rescuing and rehabbing, all the serious aggression has been in their first spring. Subsequent years, they are more chilled.
Thank you for the explanation! That’s good I still have time to figure out what to do with my boys. They didn’t fight again today so maybe it was just an odd squabble.

Thank you for the explanation! That’s good I still have time to figure out what to do with my boys. They didn’t fight again today so maybe it was just an odd squabble.
My drakes have odd squabbles all the time. It's pecking order related. No damage to anyone and all pally pally sleeping next to each other 10 minutes later. That's just drakes for you!!!

My drakes have odd squabbles all the time. It's pecking order related. No damage to anyone and all pally pally sleeping next to each other 10 minutes later. That's just drakes for you!!!
Thanks! It’s my first time with ducks but comparing them with my chickens, their fighting and pecking order business is a lot less scary. In fact, it looked a bit comical.:D I do notice that with both chickens and ducks, there’s a peacemaker that tries to stop the fight.

Back
Top Bottom