Do ducklings pick at wing tips ?

fresheggsdaily

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 12, 2011
Suffolk VA
I have 5 7-week oldPekin ducklings. They are partially feathered. One has traces of blood on the tips of her wing feathers. What is causing this ? Could one of the others be picking at her new feathers ? I know that sometimes chickens will peck at new feathers to get the blood out of the quill. Its caused by a protein deficiency or boredom. Do ducks do similar ? Its only on the one duckling.

I had a similiar situation with one of my Rouen ducklings. I have no good answer, but I hope that someone can give a good one.

Last year I had a few balding ducklings- but it was being done by a gosling at the time. Yes they can get bored in a brooder- but as well as picking at each other - the wings tip can get damaged easily - especially when there is large numbers in the brooders.

yes they will. Usually bordom. or to small of a area that they are kept in. What size of a area do you keep them in currently. Lots of Grass, head of lettuce anything to chew on instead of them selves. But sometimes when there wings are coming in the blood is so heavy that you can actually see it under the skin.

Back
Top Bottom