Do ducks & chickens get along?

lizi.beth915

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 6, 2011
Harford County, MD
I have 7 two month old chickens living in the coop. I'm interested in getting a few ducklings. If raised a duck or two would they get along with the chickens and live in the coop? Or would I have to build a whole other structure for them to live in?

Last edited:
My ducks and chickens live together, I also have geese and guinea fowl, no problems. I would suggest getting at LEAST 2 ducklings though because they are extreamily social animals.

I do not have ducks however my friend has chickens and muscovt together and are just fine. The only issue was his main lareg drake chasing and bugging the rooster!

Please Please Please do research before getting Ducks/Ducklings. They are nothing like chickens.
My group of ducks (6 Adults) have gained up on a chicken and tried to kill it because it was in "Their" territory (The ducks that's.)

My 2 drake Pekins are in my coop at night with my 7 hens and rooster, but the ducks are in an x pen within the coop because I have a one-legged hen that sleeps on the floor and I worry the ducks might mess with her. Other than that, they free range all day together and all file in the coop at dusk.

I only have 2 chickens and 2 ducks (make that 1 duck....one of mine is currently missing
sad.png
...) They all love each other, they graze together all day and get along fine. Although I did previously have a Pekin drake and he tried to rape Henny Penny when he went thru puberty. I had to send him off to be a stud duck - he was definately qualified!

When I only had one duck she stayed in the pen at night with the chickens but two ducks in the pen together with the chickens made a BIG mess with the water bowl. Plus they stay awake all night when the chickens want to sleep so I've made an adjoining night time hutch for the ducks.

Be warned...however many ducks or chickens you choose to keep....it will never be enough!
tongue.png

I have a trio of ducks that are 3 years old. I got 3 chicks this past March.. They all get along pretty well... the ducks move to another part of the yard usually when the hens come up to the food bowl or the water.. but the rest of the time they forage together.. I do have a seperate place for the chickens to sleep and a seperate place for the ducks...

My ducks hate going into buildings or any enclosed space. But my chickens n ducks get alone. Guineas live in with the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom