1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do ducks destroy gardens?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CottageChicken22, Sep 18, 2008.

1. CottageChicken22

CottageChicken22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Do ducks destroy gardens?[​IMG]

2. dixie chicken

dixie chicken Out Of The Brooder

This has been my first summer having ducks and they (3) free range and have free access to my garden. Yes they will destroy some things. I didn't have many zucchini or yellow squash this year because they thought the leaves were very tasty and they ate most tomatoes that they could reach. I had to put a temporary makeshift fence around some of the veggies that they wanted. My pekins graze continually and I am still discovering their favorite snacks. They just LOVE begonia flowers and leaves. Had to put all my potted flowering annuals out of reach but I have trained them to come when I pick a few flowers for them.[​IMG]

3. LV426

LV426 Chillin

Jul 16, 2008
    My ducks have free access to the garden and they never touched anything other than a squash leaf here and there and they did trample my watermelon plants a bit. For the most part though they didn't hurt anything.

4. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    My ducks never really hurt anything in the garden,but I might of just been lucky

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by