1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do ducks go gray when molting?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Number1Sticky, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Number1Sticky

Number1Sticky Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2010
    I have a Welsh Harlequin Drake that looks like he is going gray. But the lady I got him from said he was only a year old when I got him and I only got him in April. So unless she lied about his age, he’s not that old. Also all his curls on his tail are gone. He is losing a lot of feather, but his face looks gray not like the feathers are gone, but gray. Is he just molting?

Thanks for any advice!!!
    Here are some pictures of him:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    All of my males are doing this too. I believe this is called summer eclipse. Alot of breeds of ducks do this. They will get their color back when they need to attract a female in the spring.

3. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    This is totally normal. Ducks tend to get their adult feathers around 3-4 months old. Then they molt (loose their adult feathers). This is why his curly drake feather is gone. He will be that way for a few months (some of mine are going through it right now) then he'll grow his pretty adult feathers again. They do this 1-2 times a year.
    So she probably wasn't lying to you, he's just molting : )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by