Do ducks have to have food/water at night

Hi! First year with ducklings...cute but messy! At what age can they overnight without food or water? Mine are just over 3 weeks and beginning to feather. We have been taking them outside during the day (it's been 70's and 80's ) with limited access to bathing. Then back to the brooder at night but by morning it's a real mess

I suggest at this age instead of withholding food and water that you make a watering station to catch the splash. A container with high sides but a low entrance, big enough to hold their waterer and a few of them, with sawdust pellets in the bottom and an old towel on top of the pellets. Sit the waterer on the towel. Then to tidy up, remove the waterer, pull up the towel, and if needed scrape some of the wet pellets out and refresh as needed. Probably you can rotate through three towels. Just shake out the towel over the garden for free fertilizer, and wash it out, hang it to dry...

Th
I suggest at this age instead of withholding food and water that you make a watering station to catch the splash. A container with high sides but a low entrance, big enough to hold their waterer and a few of them, with sawdust pellets in the bottom and an old towel on top of the pellets. Sit the waterer on the towel. Then to tidy up, remove the waterer, pull up the towel, and if needed scrape some of the wet pellets out and refresh as needed. Probably you can rotate through three towels. Just shake out the towel over the garden for free fertilizer, and wash it out, hang it to dry...

Thank you! I will work on a new station. They are so cute!

X2 Amiga
I would take away food and water only after they are done growing. Which would be when they are fully feathered, in their adult plumage (not juvenile).

Back
Top Bottom