Do ducks lay eggs forever?

Pamuk

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2022
Hi! I took my duck to the vet today for some laying related issues and i was discussing how she had laid nine eggs so far and he mentioned that she had a few more eggs to go before she stops laying. I did not get the chance to ask what he meant by that, did he mean for this season or will she completely stop laying forever? Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!

Ducks lay seasonally for a few years. Your vet just means she has only laid 9 eggs now but she will be laying for a few years.

They do not lay for ever, and grand old ladies live their days out just being ducks: eating pooping splashing water, swimming and sleeping

if there’s more vets around you, i would say to find one with more duck experience. domestic ducks lay 150-300 eggs a year depending on the breed, and most don’t stop until they are over 5 years old

my ducks are just pets and we don’t eat/sell the eggs, but my girl is around 2.5 years old now and is starting to slow down (laying 3-4 times a week vs everyday like she used too)

Did her Vet mean that she had a few more eggs to lay before sitting on her clutch? How old is she? While ducks do go through “henopause”, it happens later than you would think (or hope, when they have issues)! My 6 and 1/2 year old Rouen with chronic laying issues just keeps pushing out her abominations, bless her dear feathered soul. @Miss Lydia has Muscovies still laying that are over 10 years of age, I believe. As far as the end of the season, it depends on where you live. Mine stop at some point in October, I think. Anyways, how is your duck? Did her Vet have any helpful recommendations?

I did not get the chance to ask what he meant by that, did he mean for this season or will she completely stop laying forever? Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!
Welcome to BYC! :frow

Depends on what her laying issues are and what you guys did.. Did she get a hormone implant to stop her from laying? Egg laying is dependent upon many things including age, nutrition, genetics, daylight, etc.

There aren't enough details for us to give a great response.. but one thing I would definitely recommend is that you write your questions down and then call the office staff and either see about speaking with the vet or getting a message relayed and replied to. I wouldn't presume the vets inexperience or ignorance due to the lack of elaboration on that single statement.

Muscovy (since they are mentioned several times) are water fowl more closely related to geese according to research but they aren't technically ducks for anyone who didn't know that.

Do you know what breed you duck is and what her age is? Also what is your general location? Consider adding it to your profile as it may help folks make their best suggestion possible regarding which resources may be available, disease information, and more.

Hope your duck is thriving and well! :fl

Welcome to BYC! :frow

Depends on what her laying issues are and what you guys did.. Did she get a hormone implant to stop her from laying? Egg laying is dependent upon many things including age, nutrition, genetics, daylight, etc.

There aren't enough details for us to give a great response.. but one thing I would definitely recommend is that you write your questions down and then call the office staff and either see about speaking with the vet or getting a message relayed and replied to. I wouldn't presume the vets inexperience or ignorance due to the lack of elaboration on that single statement.

Muscovy (since they are mentioned several times) are water fowl more closely related to geese according to research but they aren't technically ducks for anyone who didn't know that.

Do you know what breed you duck is and what her age is? Also what is your general location? Consider adding it to your profile as it may help folks make their best suggestion possible regarding which resources may be available, disease information, and more.

Hope your duck is thriving and well! :fl
Muscovy are derived from wood ducks whereas all other domesticated ducks are derived from mallards.

As far as I am aware, wood ducks have not been classified as geese or anything other than ducks

Back
Top Bottom