Do ducks lay every day???

I'm not planning on getting drakes only Ducks(is this a problem???). All my hens are past point of lay and was planning on getting younger ducks like about 3-4 weeks old. I can put a big bowl/pool for my ducks down the bottom of the run so my hens wont get wet and the run shouldn't get to muddy(My run is on a slope so the water should run down hill, away from the run). I free range my hens at about 12:30-1:00 in the afternoon till about 7:00-7:30 at night in a big field so plenty of space and i have loads of room to extend the run, its just that if i build a whole new run it means a new roost, new nesting boxes more fencing more screws MORE money. I mean i suppose i could do it but it wouldn't be ideal.

Last edited:
Nope...you don't have to get drakes at all. Most breeds are hard to sex that early though. I see no reason why you couldn't keep them together.

Also...my ducks won't use nesting boxes and certainly not roosts. They prefer the ground in a huddle.
big_smile.png
So if you do end up building them a separate coop/enclosure, don't worry about that. Most people I know who have ducks just use a simple dog crate for shelter in their coops. Mine have one, but they prefer to sleep on the ground of the chicken coop....which is just fine with me!

Nope...you don't have to get drakes at all. Most breeds are hard to sex that early though. I see no reason why you couldn't keep them together.

Also...my ducks won't use nesting boxes and certainly not roosts. They prefer the ground in a huddle.
big_smile.png
So if you do end up building them a separate coop/enclosure, don't worry about that. Most people I know who have ducks just use a simple dog crate for shelter in their coops. Mine have one, but they prefer to sleep on the ground of the chicken coop....which is just fine with me!

Oh yes of course, webbed feet how could i forget that.lol. What will they lay in then, and if i dont want drakes should i get ducks that are a bit older???

Mine make their own nests with straw dropped out of the chicken nesting boxes. My friends lay theirs in the dog crates. Depending on where you get them...some places will vent sex their ducks. Other breeds, like welsh harlequins can be sexed as day olds. You can usually sex most ducks by around 6-10 weeks by voice or drake feathers coming in. Good luck!

you dont have to order just from a hatchery, there are many of us who breed and also vent sex as well. We (our farm in particular) offer limited numbers of sexed ducklings at a higher price and ship as well.

Wow, there are a lot of answers her, and I'm not going to read them all to see if I'm repeating anything.

My answer is first: it depends. My Khaki Campbells ( mine are selected for egg production) lay eggs almost every day. My best layers only miss 20 days or less a year. Indian Runners may lay almost as many eggs (or most have the potential). Anconas and most other ducks (not meat ducks) will lay about 4 eggs a week, some lay more.

If you forget to feed them a day, they will not lay a day or two later. If they are getting less than 15 hours of light in their eye per day, they will lay less to none. (I put a 25 watt bulb in with my laying ducks in their coop at night)

So, choose a layer, feed well, clean water daily, give them a light when its late fall and winter, and you'll get the most eggs possible, out of most chicken, duck, and corturnix quail alike.

(not turkeys, geese, or pheasents, and not all chickens)

BTW: Hens lay with or without drakes. Ducks can lay eggs for 7 years or more, but are most productive the first 4. If you put your ducks in an enclousre at night (w/a light to get eggs once they are 6-7 months old, or for the older girls, if they are under age 5 you should still be getting eggs from most ducks) they will lay their eggs in the pre-dawn hours, and you let the ducks out and gather eggs right off the ground. I just put some straw in a corner, and they usually lay there.

If your enclosure is very safe, leave them out. If there is a chance of break in from determined carnivores, lock those ducks up in a dog house, a crate, in a tiny A frame you've built - but lock them up! And, if you want winter eggs from ducks that are still laying, your tiny light will keep eggs from freezing usually.

Last edited:
We got Arthur and Martha in the summer but Martha started laying this week! We thought our chickens would have stopped laying by now too but they have just kept right on through the winter.

Can we be honest with this next question, Do ducks take more work than chicken??? I heard that you have to change there swimming and drinking water like twice a day every day.
I clean my ducks' "bath" once a week and top it up with clean water daily. I also clean their hut out once a week and fill it with fresh bedding. I'll add bedding if necessary during the week. They get fresh drinking water twice a day. I rotate the water buckets because I wash their bucket/s every day. I have the same routine for my chickens except I only clean their coop out twice a year (beginning of spring and end of summer) i.e. deep litter method.
So to answer your question, I don't think they're hard work at all. 😊

Back
Top Bottom