Do ducks lay every day???

No chickens here, but ducks are pretty easy. They can be messy, because they love their water, but if you have the 'right' set-up, even that's controllable. The ground to our outdoor pen is pea pebbles, so any water spillage filters down between the rocks. And we don't put water in their coop/shelter, so there's no watery/muddy mess in there either. Ducks don't need medications or vaccines (I'm not sure about chickens, except to say chicks eat medicated food...).

Our routine is twice a day: We feed Flock Raiser grain and veggies (either thawed frozen or fresh scraps), change their water, spray down the poopy rocks (in warmer weather) and fluff their bedding (we use the deep litter method in their coop). It doesn't take long and is just 'part of the day' around here.

(Edited to add: Oh yah, we collect eggs in the morning, too.
wink.png
)

We've had a pen of grass before instead of our current pea pebbles, and although I love the more natural look of a duck on grass and their ability to forage in it, the pea pebble is much less messy. I think my perfect set-up would be to have them back on grass with just the pool area on pea pebbles, but when we built our new pen/coop, we didn't have a chance to get grass seed to take before we had to transfer everyone.

Hope that helps a little...

Last edited:
I really depends on the breed. I have had pekins and cayugas (and khaki campbells, and swedish/runner crosses, but they never did/haven't laid) that were exceptional layers. Although, they are also exceptional egg hiders
hide.gif

So muscovies are considered seasonal layers as far as I've read here.
smile.png
But when they are in season do they lay every day? Every other day? How often?
hmm.png

WOW THANKS every one for the great info, from what Ive read here is that Khaki Campbell's sound like they are very popular and are good layers, i think if i can sort out some ducks that they are my best bet, also might get a few Welsh Harlequin's (i like the look of these ducks). I shall look at every ones recommendations on different breeds and have a bit of a search on the web.

Will my ducks be able to live with or near my chickens???

near is fine but ducks love water and chickens tend to prefer to be dry so separate pens is recommended. Also a drake (boy duck) will mate with anything and may hurt a chicken

WOW THANKS every one for the great info, from what Ive read here is that Khaki Campbell's sound like they are very popular and are good layers, i think if i can sort out some ducks that they are my best bet, also might get a few Welsh Harlequin's (i like the look of these ducks). I shall look at every ones recommendations on different breeds and have a bit of a search on the web.

Will my ducks be able to live with or near my chickens???

My ducks sleep with my chickens and free range with them...but when they are all out together, the ducks seem to keep to themselves. I have 2 pekins and I'm getting a trio of Welsh harlequins in the spring.
celebrate.gif

** adding in, some drakes will try and mate with hens and this can end badly...usually with a dead hen. You just have to watch carefully. Ducks and hens/roos don't seem to have much of a problem.

Last edited:
You don't always have to separate their pens though. I have kept my ducks/chickens together ever since I got them. Earlier this year, I had 6 female ducks, 2 male ducks, and 1 female chicken. They got along really well. There were a few times when I noticed one of the drakes trying to mate with her, but I had a big yard, so it wasn't that hard for her to get away. Although, right now, my ducks tends to hang out with the neighbors geese/ducks, and tend to stay away from the chickens. I think it really depends on how they were raised. Most of the ones that got along with the chicken, were raised with her. Whereas, the two I have right now, where raised separated from the chickens for the first several months.

Mine were hatched and placed with a broody chicken to raise and I haven't had problems yet, but the ducks tend to keep to themselves still. I think if you have a good duck to drake ratio, you will have less problems with the drakes and your hens. One of my pekins is a drake, though still young and not fully aware of his maleness yet. Just something to be aware of.

Back
Top Bottom