1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do ducks lay like chickens?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MammaHen, Mar 10, 2009.

1. MammaHen

MammaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Knysna, South Africa
    We started out with a pair of Pekin ducks. Soon after they arrived we found a nest and she was broody. All 5 eggs hatched but we lost two. The babies have all grown up (they must be about 3 months old) and I want to know if and when she is going to start laying again. I know nothing about ducks and their ways - I thought they were like chickens and just carried on laying!

2. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

She should start to lay again when the ducklings become dependent from her.

After that if she doesnt go broody again she will lay every day or every other day...

3. MammaHen

MammaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Knysna, South Africa
    They are just as big as her now and seem fully grown to me. Does that mean she must be hiding eggs somewhere? Do they always lay in very obscure places? Thanks for the info. x

4. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    Duck are very good about hiding eggs,,If they are free range you might not find them untill she hatchs them and babies are runing around..My ducks are some what free range at night are put up for thier safety but the next morning it is like easter egg hunting! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I thought they were like chickens and just carried on laying!

Depends on the breed. Khakis and Runners lay like chickens, but they are lousy moms and don't usually get broody.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by