Do ducks like creeks?

chickenjen

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 17, 2010
Highlands, NC
We are thinking about getting a couple of ducks.

Do they like creeks? We have a little creek that has a couple little pools. Will they like that idea or would they still need a still area? The bigger pool has a small natural waterfall that flows into it, is between a few inches to about 18 or so inches deep, constantly changing in depth, and is really "mellow" as for current. The other has a bit more current and is smaller due to a fallen tree over the middle of it.

Think they would be happy or would they be a mile or so over at the lake?

Quote:
If it's wet, ducks like it!
big_smile.png

Quote:
If it's in the water, fits in their mouths, and they're able to catch it, ducks will eat it (unless they don't like it, in which case it gets nibbled on, and then rejected back into the water)!
big_smile.png

During non-snowy weather, my ducks and geese pass up the pond daily on their way to the creek. Given their druthers, the creek wins over all the time.

I see you're in western NC. I'm in Sylva with 10 ducks on a creek. They do just fine on it and seem very happy. The only problem I can report is some bank ersoion from their constant drilling. Your creek will get wider, be prepared for that! In some places, I stacked downed logs and limbs against the bank and it worked fine until all the floods washed them out. I need to redo it whenever this freeze ends.
Shannon
45522_ducks_012.jpg

45522_juliannas_camera_374.jpg

45522_juliannas_camera_215.jpg

Awesome pictures!!! They are all so beautiful!!!

We are just south of Highlands about a stones throw from the GA border.

If we get ducks, the fiance is saying "YES! YES! I want one!" I will have to share. I have a feeling that there will be ducks in my house between him and the boys! They call it rustic living for a reason, right?
wink.png

Man... the boys are not going to like it too much if a duck eats one of their crawfish! They seem to think if they keep them all alive, they will reproduce and grow big enough for dinner (yes, the crawfish). I keep telling them that we will just go down to Clayton for crawfish but they are convinced that just once they will get enough for us for dinner and that I will cook them for dinner! Glad I convinced them the baby trout are just too small for anything over a toothpick! I have lost count of the number of crawfish in the house. That is why I expect ducks in the house. Had a hen following me through the house not long ago. Had hay through the house not long ago (that was my fault). I love the life!

My chickens and ducks try to follow me in the house all the time. And I'm pretty sure my 8 yr old snuck one of her favorite hens in the house when we were having a particularly bad cold snap. I'm almost positive I heard hen sounds upstairs lol.
wink.png

My ducks love my creek, but they do have a hard time making it back up the banks especially if its wet out.

My ducks love my creek, but they do have a hard time making it back up the banks especially if its wet out.

I can see that being a bit of an issue here too. Unfortunately, the only flat spot is the drive (it was built up to be flat) and the sandy beach by the creek. The rest of it is pretty steep and if you take the beaten path... give up going up the hill!​

Back
Top Bottom