1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do ducks need grit?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MuranoFarms, Feb 10, 2010.

1. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    My Pekin duckling was raised with chickens and whenever I gave them grit he would eat a couple mouth fulls. He started pulling on the feathers of his chickens so I had to take them away from him. He can still see them, and talks to them but no more feather pulling. lol

Anyway.....do I need to give him/her grit?

2. chickenma

chickenma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I don't think they do. Do you free range him. they find it in the dirt .

3. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Quote:I will, but not yet. We have over a foot of snow right now and its only 12 degrees out. Hopefully in a month they'll all be able to go out and play/forage in the yard.

4. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

If doesn't free range, then yes, he should have access to grit.

5. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    all birds need some form of grit. Grit however is nothing more than dirt. If the birds are on the ground, they are getting all they need. If they are in wire cages off the ground, that would be the only time you would need to supply grit for them. If they are on the ground, surely you have notice them with their bills in the mud/water, smaching them together really quick, he's getting his grit there.
    Feather pulling in them is a territorial thing. I've had tiny calls attack grown pheasants and turkeys doing it before. Kind of funny to watch a 1 pound duck holding on to a 20 pound turkeys tail and being drug around the pen!!

1 person likes this.
  6. rollyard

rollyard Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Yes ducks do need grit. I have found that my Muscovies look for grit & consume it in far larger amounts (daily) then my chickens ever have.

7. fletchersmom

fletchersmom New Egg

May 5, 2016
    [​IMG]How do you give an indoor grit?

8. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    Hi @fletchersmom I'm not sure what your question is as I'm not familiar with Indoor grit. Maybe you can provide some more information?

9. fletchersmom

fletchersmom New Egg

May 5, 2016
    Oh my gosh! Sorry, it should have read, Do indoor ducks need grit? I am taking on a disabled Pekin duck and I assume they need to have some grit in their diet, but I don't know that much about it.

10. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    You'll want to provide grit if the duck is going to be getting treats like bananas, peas, tasty bugs etc. Since the duck won't be going outside, he/she won't get grit through foraging. You'll want to provide grit appropriate to the ducks size: full adult? regular grit. duckling? chick grit or pet bird grit (I get my ducklings grit from the local feed store, in the pet section. They carry grit for parakeets which is fine enough for the young birds.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by