Do EE's have ear tufts and beards?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rypie13, Jun 27, 2008.

1. rypie13

rypie13 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2008
    We have asked if this bird is a male or female, it is named princess (it is my daughters) it hasn't tried to crow yet and is almost 9 weeks old. This bird is VERY different from the rest of ours. It has green legs so we were told it is an EE
    but do they look like this bird? It really is pretty- the pics don't do it justice! It is just the only one that has a beard or tufts!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    IMO it's a roo. I could be wrong but I showed a pic of my EE and its comb was wide like that I was told it was a roo. I'm sure someone who know's more then me will let you know.

3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Yup.. I would have to also say EE roo..... Very handsome guy though [​IMG] A real Prince [​IMG]

4. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    I agree...it is an EE roo. Some EE have the ear tuft and muffs and some don't. I have two from the same batch that look identical except one has ear tufts and muffs and the other doesn't. They are also both hens.

What a cute roo!

5. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    Yes it is an EE, its a bit early to know for sure what it is, but from looking at him, I would say that it is a rooster.

6. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

There is a difference between muffs and ear tufts.

Ear tufts are at the ear. Muffs would be more like side burns.

Now my spelling might be off here. Aracaunas have tufts. Amaraucanas don't and Easter Eggers don't.

There are also other distinguishing features that have discussed at great length in other threads. Some of them even fairly current if you feel like browsing.

7. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:So if my chicken has Muffs it's a ?

8. dacjohns

Probably an Easter Egger.

9. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I have an Aracauna/Cochin mix and it has ear tufts and feathered feet. I was told it is also called an EE but now I see EE's don't have tufts? It came from a blue egg. I'll just call it what it is Aracauna/Cochin mix as the dam was a purebred show Aracauna but the Cochin hopped the fence on the lady:(

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  10. dacjohns

Gotta change my signature line.

You should really do some research on the whole Araucana/Amaraucana/Easter Egger thing.

It is a lot more complex than ear tufts, muffs, and beards. An Easter Egger is basically a chicken that lays blue tinted (some folks say green) eggs and does not meet the standard for a recognized breed.

http://www.araucana.net/

http://www.ameraucana.org/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by