do eggs gain wieght??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ducklove334, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    I have my single little mallard egg in the bator, I havn't candled yet, but it is on day 5 today, when I first wieghed it before setting it either wieghed 42 or 46 grams, i just wieghed it and it wieghs 45 grams??

I wish I would have written down the beginning wieght now [​IMG]

but are eggs supposed to gain wieghted, if so, how much over what period of time??

2. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I know that when I incubate chicken eggs, it seems like there is a weight difference in those with chicks and those without. It seems that the eggs with chicks, get heavier and more solid feeling towards the end.

I never took measurements, this is all by hand and guessing before I candled.

-Kim

3. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    well, the egg dropped the other day, down to 43 grams, then back up to 45 :hmm. thats it I'm taking a pic! LOL

4. Webfoot

Webfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Central TX
    Eggs will lose weight during incubation. They can't gain unless they're taking in something. I believe there is a method you can use to gauge whether your humidity levels are correct by how fast the eggs are losing weight, but I don't know the specifics.

The weight will shift toward the large end of the egg as the duckling grows. If you incubate the eggs on their sides, the small end will gradually sit higher as the hatch approaches.

Webfoot

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by