Do feathers compost?

courtshep

Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
West Virginia
I know you can put human hair in compost, and I figure feathers can go too, but how long does it take for them to compost?
big_smile.png

Don't know how long but remember they are protein based and whatever organism "eats" them when they are unattached from chick may also "eat" feathers on attached chick. Protein is mostly amino acid compounds and when they breakdown they give off "amines". God made amines smell really bad so we'd stay away from rotting meat (and bodies). Now a hand ful may not be so bad but if you are talking large amount as in just plucked after hatcet duty, I wouldn't. Make sure chickens do not have access to compost and let the SMELLS begin!
th.gif

If the compost is a good hot pile with layering of manure and green matter feathers compost and do not smell. Even the offal from chickens can be composted if done properly.

Thanks for replies. I have pine shavings in my coop, and the feathers are all mixed in with everything. I don't know how I would separate them! I'm not sure if there are so many feathers because my chickens are almost 4 months old, and getting new "grown up" feathers, but there are tons of feathers everywhere!

Quote:
Make a seperate pile for your pine. It will compost but takes a lot longer than normal
plant materials. Keep it wet and covered with leaves to keep the smell down.

Back
Top Bottom