Do feathers compost?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by courtshep, Oct 8, 2008.

1. courtshep

courtshep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    West Virginia
    I know you can put human hair in compost, and I figure feathers can go too, but how long does it take for them to compost?[​IMG]

2. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't know how long but remember they are protein based and whatever organism "eats" them when they are unattached from chick may also "eat" feathers on attached chick. Protein is mostly amino acid compounds and when they breakdown they give off "amines". God made amines smell really bad so we'd stay away from rotting meat (and bodies). Now a hand ful may not be so bad but if you are talking large amount as in just plucked after hatcet duty, I wouldn't. Make sure chickens do not have access to compost and let the SMELLS begin! [​IMG]

3. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    If the compost is a good hot pile with layering of manure and green matter feathers compost and do not smell. Even the offal from chickens can be composted if done properly.

4. courtshep

courtshep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    West Virginia
    Thanks for replies. I have pine shavings in my coop, and the feathers are all mixed in with everything. I don't know how I would separate them! I'm not sure if there are so many feathers because my chickens are almost 4 months old, and getting new "grown up" feathers, but there are tons of feathers everywhere!

5. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:Make a seperate pile for your pine. It will compost but takes a lot longer than normal
    plant materials. Keep it wet and covered with leaves to keep the smell down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by