do females ever display mounting behaviour?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by firefowl, Jan 28, 2014.

1. firefowl

firefowl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2013
    Just wondering I culled what I thought was one of my two males. Then during feeding time one hen stood in the feeding dish and another one, which should be a hen, did the mounting, claw grasping thing. It looked like the mounting that the males do, so I'm confused do females do it too? My dog is a female and used to mount ... things as a male would, although in doggy-style not quail-style obviously :\

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don’t have quail but chickens certainly do it. It’s not a sexually twisted thing. You don’t have a freak. The mating ritual is not just sexual, it’s also about dominance. The one on bottom is accepting the dominance of the one on top, either willingly or by force. It doesn’t happen nearly as much with hens, but I’ve had hens go through the entire mating ritual, including touching vents, when no dominant male was in the flock.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Yes, females mount males and other females. Even males will mount males. This is a dominance thing. Has nothing to do with sexuality. [​IMG]

4. Ntsees

Ntsees Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2012
    It happens. I've never witnessed it until I had quail. All the male mountains I've ever own mounted with another male (if present). Just last year, one of my female valleys mounted another valley hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by