Do fish sleep?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Cats Critters, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

My little sister came in my room and watched me on here for a little bit and then turned around and started watching my goldfish, her Question to me was do fish sleep? I think no and she thinks yes who is right?

2. dave_Cash69

dave_Cash69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    kaintucky
    i dont know if they sleep but i do know they 'rest'

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Yes. My clown fish puts his self in some algae after dark an sleeps most of the night.

4. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Of course they do. They also blink, but nobody believes that bit until they actually see it for themselves (their eyeballs turn down into their heads).

5. Jameberlin

Jameberlin Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Somebody should write a book "Everybody Sleeps" lol!

6. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    It's not really "sleep" but they do have to shutdown their brains for a rest. That's when they are not alert and get eaten so they hide them selves in a crack, sand, or weeds.

7. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Thanks! I have had fish for years and had never thought about it before, I think he is "sleeping" right now he just kind of flouting there not moving much besides so small fin movements.

8. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    She is correct -- fish do indeed sleep. Parrot fish even go so far as to create a sleeping bag of sorts (a mucous-y layer that helps protect them from predators). every night before bed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by