DO FRESHLY LAID EGGS SHRINK AFTER THEY COOL OFF?

I just set up my broody breaker again, in a shadier spot this time since it is late June even though it's unseasonably cool this week.

View attachment 2734907
Ha, wish it was unseasonably cool for us in Central Florida! It is un seasonably hot for us. I have a broody hen and to boot, two hens want to sit on the same place. I'll have to get a photo. I plan on breaking this broodiness soon!

Might need to break her more proactively, just taking the eggs won't do it.

If you don't want her to hatch out chicks, IMO it's best to break her broodiness promptly.
My experience goes about like this: After her setting for 3 days and nights in the nest (or as soon as I know they are broody), I put her in a wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller wire(1x2) on the bottom but no bedding, set up on a couple of 4x4's right in the coop or run with feed and water.

After 48 hours I let her out of crate very near roosting time(30-60 mins) if she goes to roost great, if she goes to nest put her back in crate for another 48 hours.

Tho not necessary a chunk of 2x4 for a 'roost' gives the feet a break from the wire floor and encourages roosting.
View attachment 2734892
I plan on it! Read why it is unhealthy for the hen to be broody with no Rooster/fertilized eggs. Now I have two hen in a 12x12 nesting box. We are having a very warm summer in Central Fl and as such I have a ventilator fan that does not blow on them, but blows out of the coop so the warm air is filtered out.

I plan on it! Read why it is unhealthy for the hen to be broody with no Rooster/fertilized eggs. Now I have two hen in a 12x12 nesting box. We are having a very warm summer in Central Fl and as such I have a ventilator fan that does not blow on them, but blows out of the coop so the warm air is filtered out.
Aart, your prescription to break the broodiness worked! I kept her separated without any nesting boxes or material, and she's back to normal. Previously, she was fanning her tail feathers, lowering her head, cooing, and her vent was puckering. Made the older hen so mad on the night roosting perch, I had to laugh when she got pecked! So, I lifted her off and all was normal two days later! thanks!

Back
Top Bottom