DO FRESHLY LAID EGGS SHRINK AFTER THEY COOL OFF?

Stepnout

Crowing
5 Years
May 6, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Hello, I noticed a week or 2 ago my first egg of the day was as laid just seconds before I checked the nest box. The egg as always was large but nothing out of the ordinary. I set the egg on the step while I continued a few garden chores. After the egg cooled down I couldn’t help but notice the egg was noticeably smaller.
Can this or does this really happen? Do eggs shrink a bit after cooling off? I guess this makes sense to me but never paid attention to or noticed it before.
Thanks

no I do not want her broody. I have gone under her to remove the egg and no problem. but boy is it hot!!! so I bring it in the house. I have no rooster. Just hens for eggs!
Might need to break her more proactively, just taking the eggs won't do it.

If you don't want her to hatch out chicks, IMO it's best to break her broodiness promptly.
My experience goes about like this: After her setting for 3 days and nights in the nest (or as soon as I know they are broody), I put her in a wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller wire(1x2) on the bottom but no bedding, set up on a couple of 4x4's right in the coop or run with feed and water.

After 48 hours I let her out of crate very near roosting time(30-60 mins) if she goes to roost great, if she goes to nest put her back in crate for another 48 hours.

Tho not necessary a chunk of 2x4 for a 'roost' gives the feet a break from the wire floor and encourages roosting.
1624652932398.png

Back
Top Bottom