Do geese break / eat eggs?

2468Chickensrgr8

Songster
12 Years
Nov 7, 2007
Ontario
I have a pair of Embden geese and the female has started laying in this past week ....since its still cold here I have been bringing the eggs in and saving them ..hoping she'll go broody ...yesterday I had this bright idea of putting two of my white leghorn eggs in the nest BUT this morning I found another goose egg but no chicken eggs ?..I dont have to search for the goose egg as she's been laying in the barrel provided ..... I put the chicken eggs in late afternoon so I am thinking they must have froze over night ? Do they eat break and eat eggs like the chickens do? I have three female and one male muscovy in the coop also .....there not laying eggs yet ... Merci

Well I would have said no until a few minutes ago I was looking out my bedroom window and one of my chickens had laid an egg in the goose pen. One of my ganders, Kasper was rolling the egg and trying to eat it. So I would say its quite possible that they did.

If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I wouldn't have believed it. I immediately went out there and took the egg before he broke it because I don't need my geese to become egg eaters. I can't figure out why one of my chickens laid in the goose run. They're coop is right next to it.
fl.gif
idunno.gif

They may not have broken the chicken eggs on pupose. Chicken eggshells aren't nearly as thick as goose eggshells. The gander may not have been trying to eat the egg but roll it like a ball. I have dog toys and tennis balls that my geese play with. They like to roll them around the yard and kind of toss them. I have some that float and they really love those.

If they had eaten them you should have found the shells and at least a little mess. Much more likely that they rolled them off or even buried them like they will their own eggs in cold weather. And check the muscovy area carefully they can and do steal eggs, I had one female that collected 13 eggs for her nest in 24 hours, one of those she might have laid.

Oh my goodness this is driving me crazy ....she laid another egg today but no sign of the chicken eggs ...I will check the coop again ...maybe those darn scovies snatched them ...ha ha ...I havnt seen any scovy eggs this year last fall I got a couple ... thanks everyone ...

I had a problem with missing and also broken eggs... Found out it was a oppossum... Or should I say 4, that we caught in 1 weeks time and dispatched to a better place....
frow.gif

Quote:
LOL I have had various poultry do this.

Strangest thing is that I have had eggs with pencil marks on them in different nests, separated from each other and with about an 8 inch lip ... Only to find the eggs moved and gathered all into one nest without being broken. This was under a rock bantam hen. I still can't figure out how she picked those eggs up ...

Quote:
LOL I have had various poultry do this.

Strangest thing is that I have had eggs with pencil marks on them in different nests, separated from each other and with about an 8 inch lip ... Only to find the eggs moved and gathered all into one nest without being broken. This was under a rock bantam hen. I still can't figure out how she picked those eggs up ...

I doubt that she picked them up. (I don't know chickens) The things I have seen Muscovy ducks do with eggs, I won't repeat since I wouldn't beleive it if I hadn't seen for myself.

Actually I doubt she picked them up either. I just can't imagine HOW she got them into a nest as high as her own back. I've only seen them roll eggs.

Haha, I sure wish you would repeat what you've seen muscovies do with eggs! I'd be very curious!

I hoped to get some last year so they'd be old enough to brood goose eggs this year, but right now I'm trying to get some asap so I can hopefully have scovies AND goslings hatch from them next year. I love muscovies.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom