Do geese break / eat eggs?

Geese do eat chicken eggs, it is quite clear to them that the egg is not their own, i have even witnessed my geese clamber through the small hole on my chicken shed and raid the nest boxes! i researched into it to see if it could be due tothem being hungry, but i was told that they find an egg very tasty so no i have had to make alterations to my chicken sheds to stop the geese from getting in!

I have at least one goose that LOVES duck eggs, and I suspect chicken eggs too. I started to suspect an egg eater in the coop (where until this point chickens and ducks and geese - all about 8 months old - have lived happily side by side). One of my ducks has been such a consistent layer, laying an egg almost every day since she started laying at age 5 months, that when a week went by without an egg from her I became suspicious. Occasionally during that week I would find a bit of egg shell or some egg white in the bottom of the nesting box, but mostly there was next to no evidence. The experiment began. I first isolated the ducks and sure enough, there would be duck eggs every morning. I then tried to inject an egg with green food colouring but that just simply disappeared without any evidence of the egg or the culprit. Next I took one of those plastic hinged easter eggs that you can fill with small toys or candies, mixed up a gooey green paste with flour and water and food colouring, filled the Easter egg with the goo and placed it in the nesting box. Sure enough, it hadn't been in there for five minutes when I noticed a goose jammed in to the nesting box. I could tell by the way he was shaking his head in there that he had gotten a taste of something unexpected. Out he came with his bill covered in green goo and I had caught my suspect red-handed, or rather, green-billed. So now I am having to isolate him while I work on separate pens for everyone (in minus 25 degree Celcius weather and two feet of snow!) and to see if any of the other geese have learned his bad habit.

Back
Top Bottom