Do gray squirrels steal eggs?

I have to thin the squirrel population around here often. They're good eating! squirrel.jpg

Whole eggs disappearing with no trace sounds like a snake. Ceramic eggs disappearing points to definitely snake, as they smell and look just like the real thing and the snake would swallow them whole anyhow without noticing the mistake. I saw a video once where a snake swallowed a lightbulb that was laying loose in a coop because it was somewhat round and smelled like a chicken.
You're probably dealing with a harmless if not somewhat intimidating ratsnake. Please consider eliminating any points of entry for the snake rather than killing it. They are important to the environment, eating lots of rodents including your squirrels, and although rat snakes can have a bit of a temper they're pretty harmless. I think the bigger ones will go after chicks and small birds but its much easier for them to just steal some eggs.
Also consider that snakes eat far less than mammals or birds have to and that the likelihood of this snake coming back every day to gorge is pretty slim, it would get extremely obese very quickly.

Back
Top Bottom