do hawks eat turkeys

From the folks in my area that I spoke to about keeping turkeys it was owls rather than hawks that were the problem because of the problems of getting turkeys to go into a coop at night.

Quote:
+1

A hawk will eat anything it can pick up and fly away with. A owl can be much larger than a hawk and operates by the same principle.

If a hawk is hungry enough he'll even go after deer! There's video on youtube of a hawk taking down a deer, it's actually pretty cool. My turkey free ranges all day everyday from 6 am to 8 pm with our ducks, she goes right in the pen and roosts at dusk! She's very smart, and loveable cuz when we get home she runs to us! Well my husband brings her fresh fruits & veges from work everyday so that may have a little to do with it, lol.

But back on subject, we have 4 regular red tails, & they even have a nest about a football fields length away from our house. Owl we have too, but never no problems from either.

Never seen a red tail go after a full grown turkey, they will try to take poults in the wild if they stray from the mother..

Heck they sit here in the trees right above and watch our orps freerange and don't dare take a poke at them, i believe they are watching for chicks or trying to single out small birds, but good luck with that...
i have lost 2 araucana hens to hawks in the last 7 years, but they could never pick them up and fly away with them, they started eating on them on the ground, cause when i chased them they tried to carry the hens off, but couldnt...

also i have seen them bounce off my pheasant flight pens on occasions..lol
gig.gif
they hit it once and never try again..
woot.gif

biggest threat is 4 legged critters on full grown turkeys and any birds here..but of course im a threat to the 4 legged critters here and keep them in check 24-7-365....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom