Do hens cluck even if they are not laying an egg?

i've found that when one of my girls is in the nesting box trying to lay and egg that my cockerel and one of the pullets will start doing the egg song as encouragement. sometimes the other hens will start in after a minute of hearing this. depending on the girl, she may do the egg song shortly after getting out of the box.

only one of my pullets so far have i noticed does not do an egg song at all when she's just laid an egg or others are singing. but she clucks up a storm when she hears/sees me go to the coop.

Quote:
Gee, I think you BR and my light brahma Jezebel must be related somewhere down the line. The ONLY time Jezebel is quiet is when she's in the nestbox. She runs out to meet me each morning and follows me around, carrying on a non-stop conversation. No imput is really necessary on my part. I watched this hen chattering in her sleep, no lie.
I can be out in the yard and realize I don't hear Jezebel chattering away, run to the coop area to check on her and find her quietly tucked away in a nestbox.

Back
Top Bottom