Do hens "crow" like roosters?

Yep - hens can crow. We had one...the white Delaware hen in my photo. She didn't do it all that often...but one morning she woke us up at 5:30am...crowing, still on her perch. That was too much so we gave her to a local farm that sometimes takes in homeless animals. Incidentally, we had 3 hens, got them as chicks and we never had a rooster. She took on the rooster role. And we're sure she was a SHE because she laid eggs!!!

as others have said, yes, they can crow like roosters. i've got a solitary hen who crows for about fifteen minutes in the morning, especially if she thinks we're slow on getting her out to her run. it's not as loud as a rooster and is a little rougher sounding, but i think it's really cute.
smile.png

I have 5 hens that are about 14 weeks old and one of them crows at dawn just like a rooster - but there are no spurs that a rooster would have. She has wattles and combs and is definitely the alpha figure of the flock. She is currently molting so maybe when she's done the crowing will stop? Roosters are not allowed in our neighborhood and I'd hate to have to get rid of her/him.

ive always been told that some hens can and will crow, especially if there was a roo that had been in the flock and was removed.
Same here. Hens will sometimes take on the position of the flock "rooster" or the highest point. I'm guessing that most people's hens don't because the hens think the human is the more dominant.

Back
Top Bottom