1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do hens "crow" like roosters?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jon J, Jul 29, 2008.

1. lindseykoehler

lindseykoehler Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2007
    Napa, California
    Yep - hens can crow. We had one...the white Delaware hen in my photo. She didn't do it all that often...but one morning she woke us up at 5:30am...crowing, still on her perch. That was too much so we gave her to a local farm that sometimes takes in homeless animals. Incidentally, we had 3 hens, got them as chicks and we never had a rooster. She took on the rooster role. And we're sure she was a SHE because she laid eggs!!!

1 person likes this.
  2. Sarree

Sarree Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2008
    Akron Ohio
    my little english game hen sometimes (rarely) crows. It really is quite funny!!

Sarree

3. chickenbike

chickenbike Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the further info. I shall search for the other threads on this topic for more reading!

4. missourichickenmama

missourichickenmama SURPRISE!

Jul 17, 2008
    Missouri
    whistling girls and crowing hens always come to some bad end. couldn't resist that one although i whistle a lot it drives my mom crazy back to the question i have no clue :p

5. missourichickenmama

missourichickenmama SURPRISE!

Jul 17, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:weird n' weirder

6. ravenfeathers

ravenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    vermont
    as others have said, yes, they can crow like roosters. i've got a solitary hen who crows for about fifteen minutes in the morning, especially if she thinks we're slow on getting her out to her run. it's not as loud as a rooster and is a little rougher sounding, but i think it's really cute. [​IMG]

7. LMAC

LMAC New Egg

Jun 18, 2012
    I have 5 hens that are about 14 weeks old and one of them crows at dawn just like a rooster - but there are no spurs that a rooster would have. She has wattles and combs and is definitely the alpha figure of the flock. She is currently molting so maybe when she's done the crowing will stop? Roosters are not allowed in our neighborhood and I'd hate to have to get rid of her/him.

8. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    Same here. Hens will sometimes take on the position of the flock "rooster" or the highest point. I'm guessing that most people's hens don't because the hens think the human is the more dominant.

9. I have a new hen, well 5 hens, and they used to be at a home with lots of other hens and a lot of roos, the head hen makes a sound like a mix between a goose honk and a crow, it is so funny!

10. Gomes Bantams

Gomes Bantams Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a 14 year old buff orp and she crowed and it sounded like a turkey getting ran over buy a bus.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by