1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do hens ever crow?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by KayP, Sep 29, 2009.

1. KayP

KayP Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    All my chickens are supposed to be hens, but someone in there is crowing a bit in the morning. Does that mean there's a "he" among them?

2. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    Sometimes hens DO crow, especially if there is no rooster to do so. At least, I think that's what I've heard. [​IMG]

ETA: How old are your chickens?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  3. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Could mean there is a he, but hens do crow as well sometimes.. Not every hen, but occasionally there is that one. It isn't uncommon.

4. KayP

KayP Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    They're going on 5 months now. Noone looks like a cockerel out there. I think I'd be able to tell. The bantam barred rock is laying so she's a she. Sebrights and Mille Fleur cockerel's have a comb, and so would the EE and Ameraucanas, but mine don't. My sweet silkie doesn't have anything going on above her beak either, so I'm pretty sure she's a she, too. We used to have an Ameraucana cockerel (Trevor.) Maybe someone cought onto crowing from him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by