1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do hens fight Roosters?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kellysmall87, Apr 20, 2012.

1. kellysmall87

kellysmall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, I have a query. I have a hen (i am 90% sure) and a Rooster. Do hens fight with roosters? My hen certainly does. Not every day, but she'll stand her ground.

2. lauriemike

lauriemike Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2009
    Upper Lower Michigan
    I've seen mine doing it, especially with the junior roosters. They get cheeky and the hen will turn on them and fluff up their hackles and look just like a rooster fighting. The roo generally backs off pretty quickly.

3. kellysmall87

kellysmall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for that, I was beginning to think I had two roosters! :)

1 person likes this.
  4. chixaregreat41

chixaregreat41 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2013
    bruce mines
    Mine r doing that so thx for asking

5. aseelpak

aseelpak Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2013
    Pakistan
    it often happens with young roosters , i had a young rooster on which every hen used to pick on however he won over few of hens by winning fight with them

6. nfitzgeraldRN

nfitzgeraldRN Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2013
    Roggen Colorado
    I have 3 roosters and 9 hens, all about 15-16 weeks old. My hens and roosters keep doing the same thing! Stare down, fluff up the feathers and an occasional jump. Nothing too major. I have been wondering myself about this. Anyone know why they do this? All of my roosters are crowing?

7. pammer

pammer New Egg

Jun 2, 2014
    My older speckled Sussex hen was bloodied all in her comb from fighting with the Roo, so I separated them this morning and will try to put them back together later this week. The Roo is about 8 months old and has been mating and living with these hens since late October without a problem! I think it's just a dominance battle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by