Do Hens hang out in the hen house???

I see many coops that have feed inside and outside. The girls will have a grandpas feeder outside to keep the rodents from getting to it. Suggestions on keeping feed tidy inside the coop??

@DobieLover your coop is AMAZING!! Imitation is the highest form of flattery....we are going to implement many of your ideas!

Thanks for all of the great insight!

I think you have your answer, but I wanted to chime in to say walk in all the way! After two coops that I had to do yoga poses to clean or collect a chicken.... We finally now have one we can walk into. It is bliss! It is not even winter yet and the ladies do chill in the hen house at times. You will not regret it. Looking forward to seeing your new coop, it sounds fabulous!

I see many coops that have feed inside and outside. The girls will have a grandpas feeder outside to keep the rodents from getting to it. Suggestions on keeping feed tidy inside the coop??

@DobieLover your coop is AMAZING!! Imitation is the highest form of flattery....we are going to implement many of your ideas!

Thanks for all of the great insight!
We also use and love our Grandpa's Feeder!

I'm going to add my voice to the chorus here: definitely do a walk-in! Because yes, the chickens do regard it as their home, their place of safety, their "home base," and not just because of weather although that is certainly a factor. I have looked outside and seen nary a chicken, not a one, where normally they are easily visible, and wondered why and where they might be. When I walked out to check on them, I found them all huddled in the coop (hen house), with the rooster cautiosly peeking out. I looked up to see a red-tailed hawk cruising overhead and realized that was why. The chickens did not come out for about an hour, and stayed very close to home that day!

Back
Top Bottom