1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do Hens have spurs?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by elle357, May 15, 2010.

1. elle357

elle357 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2008
    We just noticed one of our 'hens' seems to have sharp spurs growing. I thought only roosters had spurs? DOes anyone know?

2. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Some hens grow spurs, what breed is she?

3. cochin44

cochin44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    St. Amant, LA
    I have four hens that have old English game in them and they have huge spurs.

4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Yes, I've had hens from Asiatic, Mediterranean, American classes have them.

5. lovinlife

lovinlife Chillin' With My Peeps

My RIR hen has very long spurs. Freaky. I'll see if I can get a pic to show you.

6. Yogaliciouschick

Yogaliciouschick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2009
    I have a buttercup that has huge spurs, I believe they bigger then my Roo's. And she uses them on him when he gets to frisky!

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Here is a pic of my welsummer hen that has spurs.
    [​IMG]

8. Cluck-a-Doodle-Doo

Cluck-a-Doodle-Doo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2009
    Botetourt Co, VA
    We just got rid of a pair of red sex-link hens that were several years old. Each one had a 1 1/2 inch long spur on one leg only.

9. Highlandlady

Highlandlady New Egg

May 16, 2010
    I have amongst my other hens four Black Rocks that I have raised since they were week old chicks. I bought them from a breeder/agent. Only today did I notice one of them has spurs. I've never owned a cockerel (rooster) so have nothing to compare her with. They don't all lay on the same day so I have no way of knowing for sure if she is laying, unless I separate her from the others. I found this forum when I searched to see if hens could have spurs.....and from what others say, it seems they can? The four of them are always together and I have never seen any signs of her trying to dominate or mount any of the others so can I safely assume she is indeed simply a hen with spurs?

10. aSliceOfLife

aSliceOfLife Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2007
    Escondido, CA
    I have a buttercup with only one extremely long spur. I have to trim it down every six or so months. It can be up to 4 inches long. Good to see other people have the same problem, because I thought she was a freak of nature.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by