1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

do hens practice singing the "egg song"?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by amythebooklady, Sep 22, 2009.

1. amythebooklady

amythebooklady Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2009
    Sheridan, NY
    We have 10 hens, 21 weeks old. (Aracana's, Buff Orpingtons, Light Brahmas) and we got three green eggs two weeks ago. Nothing since then. I am hearing the "egg song" but am not finding any eggs. Is this normal? They all appear healthy and are shut in the coop at night and are in their large pen during the day until we let them out in the late afternoon when we know we are going to be home for the rest of the day. I have only heard the song when they are penned up and have looked for eggs, but don't see anything.

Thanks for any thoughts on this!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yeah, I've heard it before when there were no eggs yet. It's different from the I'm upset song, but not by much.

3. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

WAIT what's the "I'm upset song"?
    I thought my BO, unk age but large, was just practicing her song or maybe liked to fake me out and liked to see me run for the coop to check...
    how do you tell the difference?

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:The I'm upset song is usually started by one and the whole flock joins in; all singing in harmony.
    The egg song is usually started by the hen and the rooster (and sometimes other hens) sing chorus. Does that make sense? (They respond to her, like talking back and forth).
    I have a hen that likes to go deep deep into the woods and sing the egg song, just to get me out there. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  5. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Quote:The I'm upset song is usually started by one and the whole flock joins in; all singing in harmony.
    The egg song is usually started by the hen and the rooster (and sometimes other hens) sing chorus. Does that make sense? (They respond to her, like talking back and forth).
    I have a hen that likes to go deep deep into the woods and sing the egg song, just to get me out there. [​IMG]

I don't think I have ever heard the "I'm upset" song, but it makes sense. Maybe it's a good thing that I haven't heard. That means that they are ALWAYS happy! [​IMG]

6. emit

emit Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2009
    Charleston WV
    my hens have a what I call a misfire song same as egg lay song but no egg for awhile. [​IMG]

7. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I'm pretty sure one of my Leghorns was singing the egg song FOR my Redstar when she laid her first egg.
    Queenie (the red) was in the nest box just standing there, and out in the run one of the whites was singing like crazy, 5 minutes later I got a warm brown egg and I don't think Queenie ever made a peep.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by