Do hens really need their own personal nesting boxes?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gumpsgirl, Mar 25, 2008.

1. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I am a proud, new owner to 12 Rhode Island Reds [​IMG] and am wondering if each hen as to have her own nesting box? My sister swears up and down that they do, but I don't remember my great-grandpa's chickens having their very own. His chicken coup and house was kinda like a community chicken coup. Thanks![​IMG]

2. GreggsEggs

GreggsEggs Cooped Up

Aug 31, 2007
    Caneyville, KY
    No each hen does not need its own nest..... they will share with out any trouble.

A good number of nests is one(1) for every five(5) hens.

So you would be safe with three(3) nests for your 12 hens.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I have a ten hole metal nest box and they usually only use one nest!!!!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  4. Gracie_Chickie

Gracie_Chickie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2007
    Indiana
    We have 12 hens. I purchased a 4 nest nest box from Egg cartons.com and have 2 milk crates. They all want to use a certain milk crate. I have had a few random eggs in the nest boxes, but that is probably because someone was taking too long to lay her egg.
    They remind me of a line of ladies waiting to use the restroom. They stand there waiting and sometimes scolding the poor hen in the box, to hurry, hurry, hurry!! I gotta lay!!

5. roadislandgrey

roadislandgrey New Egg

Dec 10, 2013
    I have 5 hens, and 3 nest boxes, they always use only one. Once in a while there will be one to two eggs in the other. I have one that they never use.

6. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    You can't make a hen have her own personal box, she'd rather go where some other hen is, or has already been!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by