1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do hens stop laying in Autumn

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lillybird, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Lillybird

Lillybird New Egg

May 30, 2008
    Sorry if the answer to this is somehwere but I have looked and can't find.. Do hens stop laying eggs in the Autumn and then start again in the spring or will I get eggs all year round.

2. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    G'morn Lilly, egg production can drop in the fall and winter due to shorter daylight hours but most hens lay year round!

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Yes they do like mine does right now. They are in molt right now and will not lay until end of Jan to Feb.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

As the others have said, Autumn is break time. Some birds will moult severely and this can knock them off for up to 8 or 9 weeks. Others simply react to the decreasing daylight and slow way down. This is very age dependent and somewhat breed dependent. Feeding slightly higher protein can be of some help, as can providing an extra hour or two of artificial lighting in the predawn.

5. Lillybird

Lillybird New Egg

May 30, 2008
    Thank you very much for your answers.. :)

6. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    If you add some light introducing it an extra 1/2 an hour every few days until you get up to ~13 or 14 hour of total light laying will improve. Older hens seem to be more affected than younger. young hens will often lay right through winter even if light is in short supply.

7. Chickiemom25

Chickiemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Orange County, Ca
    I have one that just started this week so I am hoping for a winter of eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by