Do hens turn their eggs???? Dumb question, I know!!!

Well, I saw one in the Mcmurray catalog for 150, but hubby says its too much, he says I already have enough chickens, but when we got our chickens he picked all of them out, there are some breeds I really like, but I want to try and hatch them myself. He says he'll only let me spend about$100. I guess it would be okay if it didn't hava turner. Thanks

Thanks everyone, I am gonna go look on some sites and see what I find.
smile.png

I read somewhere that someone did reasearch and a hen turnes her eggs up to 96 times in 24 hrs! If money is tight you can always hand turn although not 96 times! 3 to 5 times a day is enough!

Baldie, I just picked up one of the still air incubators at my local feedstore for about $42.
They also sold the automatic turners for them.
I was in the same boat, not wanting to spend too much on an incubator.

well thats not right to let him know he is not right cause if he tells other ppl hens dont turn eggs well thats like giving out bad info :\\

lol any way ya they do turn there own eggs its cool really. I seen a hen do it before. My eggs in the incubator i just turn them 3 times a day and they do just fine.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I actually found one on craigslist today for $50.00. I am going to pick it up in the morning. I am very excited. So are the kids. I can't wait. I am so not tired right now. I wish it was already morning. Thanks for everyones help. Oh yeah, I told the hubby he was right. For some unknown reason I can't keep anything from him. He's my best friend. He only asked that I apologize for keeping him up until 2:00 am, especially since he was 99.9% sure he was right. He didn't make fun of me too bad.

He's great. I can't believe he doesn't care that I want to hatch my own chickens. I figured he would say I had enough. BUT he didn't. It's nice to be spoiled. He spoils me, I spoil all the pets and children, and him if ya know what I mean!! HAHA

you can make an incubator real cheap and they work great hatched lots o chicks in mine.then you can make it big enough and spend money on a turner

Back
Top Bottom