Do I Cull or Treat This Frostbite?

paiger9801

In the Brooder
Dec 28, 2022
Wisconsin
My beloved salmon faverolle rooster succumbed to the -40 windchill we had a few nights ago, and his crown is severely frostbitten and smelly:( I've been treating Oscar's crown with banixx and vetricyn, and he is now in the spare bedroom until spring😬 but with how severe it is, and all the way down to his beak, is this something I should keep treating, or am I selfish for not culling him and ending his suffering? I feel sooooo bad for him! The other side of his crown is completely blistered and oozing, hence the gross looking feathers on his neck(I did just wipe them down with warm water so they're wet). Is there anything else I can do for him? This is my first year with chickens. The horses and goats all fared just fine in the weather, but my chickies struggled:( thank you all for any tips you might have! I've read tons about frostbite but I never found a thread where it was this bad.

Attachments

• 20221228_094134.jpg
    20221228_094134.jpg
    538.7 KB · Views: 44
For reference, this 👇 is a mild case where my flock is.View attachment 3360423
Many of my older boys simply have no comb anymore as awful as it sounds.

Just try to make sure he isn't forced to scrape his comb on anything constantly
Ok, that makes me feel better. And yes it sounds horrible lol but I kind of figure at least he won't have a huge comb to worry about next winter if he heals. Do you bring them in at that point or leave them with the flock? I hate to separate him and would like him to stay with everyone else if possible. He's stressed inside

Ok, that makes me feel better. And yes it sounds horrible lol but I kind of figure at least he won't have a huge comb to worry about next winter if he heals. Do you bring them in at that point or leave them with the flock? I hate to separate him and would like him to stay with everyone else if possible. He's stressed inside
I leave them be if it's just combs and wattles, and even if it's just a toe or two.

Is he the only rooster? How warm is it outside versus where he is inside?

I leave them be if it's just combs and wattles, and even if it's just a toe or two.

Is he the only rooster? How warm is it outside versus where he is inside?
He's in the spare bedroom which is probably 60 degrees F, but I only brought him in as of an hour ago. It's around 32 degrees outside right now. And I have 2 other roosters, but they are both Bantams with rose combs

It just smells "off". Not quite the smell of infection, more like the smell you get from an open wound. So it's not infected as of yet.
Keep an eye on it. Try not to aggravate the wounds, and keep an eye on his energy. I'm familiar with that smell from some of my worser cases with feet during the winter.

It just smells "off". Not quite the smell of infection, more like the smell you get from an open wound. So it's not infected as of yet.
OK. Maybe it's just the sprays you're using mixed with oozing. Poor guy. I can't imagine -40°. I think a lot of us are getting some experience with frostbite currently

Back
Top Bottom