Do I Cull or Treat This Frostbite?

He's in the spare bedroom which is probably 60 degrees F, but I only brought him in as of an hour ago. It's around 32 degrees outside right now
I would take him back out, and keep an eye on him for a few hours just to make sure he isn't too shocked. I wouldn't think an hour would be too long though

OK. Maybe it's just the sprays you're using mixed with oozing. Poor guy. I can't imagine -40°. I think a lot of us are getting some experience with frostbite currently
-24 last week was terrible enough here with my birds, this flock definitely deserves a medal of some sort

-24 last week was terrible enough here with my birds, this flock definitely deserves a medal of some sort
Oh my gosh 🥶 I can't even imagine that! I feel like such an idiot because I've always said that I love winter. The winter temps in my mind whenever I say that is probably what northerners and folks in the west would call "chilly" 🤣

Oh my gosh 🥶 I can't even imagine that! I feel like such an idiot because I've always said that I love winter. The winter temps in my mind whenever I say that is probably what northerners and folks in the west would call "chilly" 🤣
I like the snow as long as it's just a dusting. Unfortunately a dusting here is like 4 inches at least. At least it's pretty

If he's stressed inside, I'd put him back out. I move mine into garage for an hour when they get too cold...lethargic, not eating treats etc. Usually complaining to go back out in an hour or so. Warm feed mush, Gatorade, electrolytes, yogurt, scrambled eggs. I don't mess with frostbite unless looking infected. -14F with blowing snow, -36 windchill. It was brutal. Worried all night. All ok now.

If he's stressed inside, I'd put him back out. I move mine into garage for an hour when they get too cold...lethargic, not eating treats etc. Usually complaining to go back out in an hour or so. Warm feed mush, Gatorade, electrolytes, yogurt, scrambled eggs. I don't mess with frostbite unless looking infected. -14F with blowing snow, -36 windchill. It was brutal. Worried all night. All ok now.
I made him some scrambled Eggs and leftover honeydew Melon and he gobbled it up. Outside again now. Hes showing preference to staying in the coop, but he's eating and drinking fine so I'm hopeful he'll be OK! Thank you for the advice!

I've only had frostbite like that if the coop was too closed up and humid. Since switching to a much more open coop I haven't had frostbite issues with very cold temperatures, -40F for a couple nights. That wasn't the wind chill temperature, that was the actual temperature. Windchill temp doesn't matter in a draft free coop.

Does it feel humid inside the coop? Bone dry is necessary for our winter temperatures.

I hope he heals up well.

I've only had frostbite like that if the coop was too closed up and humid. Since switching to a much more open coop I haven't had frostbite issues with very cold temperatures, -40F for a couple nights. That wasn't the wind chill temperature, that was the actual temperature. Windchill temp doesn't matter in a draft free coop.

Does it feel humid inside the coop? Bone dry is necessary for our winter temperatures.

I hope he heals up well.
I thought I had enough ventilation, but now I believe I don't. They all prefer to roost outside if it's above 35F, so I have always left my coop door propped open at night until we had this cold spell. Closed it up for night and all my single comb chickens got some frostbite, although nothing like poor Oscar got. I am preparing a new, larger built coop this spring and will be adding quite a bit more ventilation to it. For now I'm just cutting out the great stuff foam I had sealing 80% of the gap between the roof and sides.

Back
Top Bottom