Do i feed and water inside coop?

Right now my chicks are 3-5 weeks old and are using their coop as a brooder so their food is in there, and in the past we had a fully enclosed run with the food in the run. But our new coop will lead via chunnel to a run with netting overhead but it will not be fully enclosed. I'm thinking now, seeing that many bring feed in each night, to create a mini predator-proof run area right outside the coop for feed and water, then a door to the chunnel to the semi-covered run. I AM NOT WILLING to bring food in each night

Right now my chicks are 3-5 weeks old and are using their coop as a brooder so their food is in there, and in the past we had a fully enclosed run with the food in the run. But our new coop will lead via chunnel to a run with netting overhead but it will not be fully enclosed. I'm thinking now, seeing that many bring feed in each night, to create a mini predator-proof run area right outside the coop for feed and water, then a door to the chunnel to the semi-covered run. I AM NOT WILLING to bring food in each night
You could try a treadle feeder. My biggest problem is rats. They can get in almost anywhere. But if you find a way to keep even them out, please let me know!

Maybe 100% hardware cloth with a floor? That might work. My run is too bit for that. My run keeps out big predators, but those sneaky little ratties find their way in.

This is one of those hot topics with no right answer. It just really depends on your setup and your personal preferences. Some people prefer it all out in the run, some - all in the coop, others - some middle ground.

I keep my water outside because I use an open waterer and don't want the chickens inadvertently stepping in it or spilling it in the coop. The coop should be dry at all times. The waterer is heated and doesn't freeze in winter. As for food, my main feeder is inside the coop, so I can make sure it stays dry. My run is mostly covered on top, but we get crazy winds that blow rain horizontally, so no part of the run is 100% moisture-proof. I also think keeping feed in the run encourages rodents more than keeping it in the coop. It's just more visible and more easily accessible in the run than in the coop, especially if you close your coop at night. Coops tend to be more secure than runs. Once they are drawn to it outside, they'll follow it in if you put it in the coop. I also want to avoid wild birds stealing feed from the run and bringing disease. My overhead netting can't be too small or else it will hold snow, so the spacing is big enough for sparrows to get in. They won't go inside the coop though.

I do have a small secondary feeder out in the run, for treats and things they'll eat right away, so food won't linger out in the run.

I prefer to keep my feed and water outside if the coop is small -- it just takes up TOO MUCH SPACE when your square footage is already limited.

For some people that's not practical.

Pre-avian-flu-lockdown I had feed both inside and outside my big, open-air coop. Now it's all inside.
I reacted with "love" because you're dealing with the avian flu outbreak, and you deserve some love for that.

My coop is on top of a run completely enclosed with hardware cloth and sits on concrete. There is a door out to the bigger run that I lock up every night. I set it up this way specifically so I could leave food out if I wanted but I still bring my food in because the rat problem in my neighborhood is prolific. I don't even want the rats to smell the food. I had to relocate my entire setup because of a rat's nest and to this day I still look out the window in the late afternoon and see big fat rats running around the neighbor's garden and where my coop used to be. Its personal preference for sure and you can set it up so you don't have to bring food in I am just slightly traumatized by my experience with rats. 😆

My coop is on top of a run completely enclosed with hardware cloth and sits on concrete. There is a door out to the bigger run that I lock up every night. I set it up this way specifically so I could leave food out if I wanted but I still bring my food in because the rat problem in my neighborhood is prolific. I don't even want the rats to smell the food. I had to relocate my entire setup because of a rat's nest and to this day I still look out the window in the late afternoon and see big fat rats running around the neighbor's garden and where my coop used to be. Its personal preference for sure and you can set it up so you don't have to bring food in I am just slightly traumatized by my experience with rats. 😆
Sounds like a fantastic set up!!!

We keep the feeder in the coop and water buckets outside in the run. No water inside for two reasons. First, as others have said, they don't drink at night. And second, to pevent buildup of humidity and condensation inside the coop. Missouri is a humid state. Always a battle.

As for the feed, we keep it in a very large rubber trash bin that can hold two 40# bags of pellets or crumbles modified into a no-waste feeder. Not moving THAT out of the coop every night, thanks! 🤣 It's quite secure from rodents inside the 8x10 walk-in building that is the coop.

That is what works for us. Hope you find what works for you!

Back
Top Bottom