Do I have 7 hens and 1 roo or the other way around?!

kaciebeckk

Hatching
Mar 29, 2021
I have roughly 8 four week old ISA Browns. One of them has hardly any tail feathers and the other 7 have just sprouted greatly! Wing length is different as well. The 1 in question is brown on back and no white stripe on both sides of its back. The other 7 are the brown with white stripes. And long tail feathers. I’ll attach pictures. I’m curious if I have 7 Roos or 7 hens or what?!

Attachments

• E9DAC400-AF5D-48AD-BFC2-5EBD394CC25B.jpeg
    E9DAC400-AF5D-48AD-BFC2-5EBD394CC25B.jpeg
    447.6 KB · Views: 31
  • E10F304E-D945-4C58-977C-F5558417B6C3.jpeg
    E10F304E-D945-4C58-977C-F5558417B6C3.jpeg
    609.6 KB · Views: 27
Oh gosh I was like what do you mean it doesn’t have tail feathers, those are long! Then I realized I was looking at bedding and maybe I need to get my eyes checked 🤪🙈

Without any other info (seeing combs etc) if I had to guess I’d say 7 pullets and 1 cockerel BUT that’s purely a guess, they could all be pullets, etc. I don’t have experience with that breed so it’s purely anecdotal at this point. My boy feathered out slower than the others, esp in the tail

We got them from Rural King and it was a trough full of ISA Browns. I’m crossing my fingers they are all pullets because that’s what we want. Just curious as to why the single chicks tail feathers are growing in extremely slow while the other 7 have almost an inch long tail?

We got them from Rural King and it was a trough full of ISA Browns. I’m crossing my fingers they are all pullets because that’s what we want. Just curious as to why the single chicks tail feathers are growing in extremely slow while the other 7 have almost an inch long tail?
Natural variation. Unless they were bred for feather sexing, tails aren’t an accurate indicator of sex.

Back
Top Bottom