Do I have a baby Roo??

MelSoCity

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 12, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I recently acquired four chicks! I'm very excited to have my first flock. My chicks were sexed, so I'm hoping I have all pullets, but my Rhoad Island Red has me a little nervous. Her behavior stands out among the other chicks (all different breeds). At just two weeks, she is very full of herself. She is not afraid to run right at my hand when I reach in to change feed/water. She also seems to be taking charge of the others; definitely #1 in pecking order. She perches on top of the feeder and walks with a strut, head held high. Does anyone know if this is typical of the Rhoad Island Red breed? Maybe I'm speculating too much, but does this at all sound like I may have a roo on my hands?

What are other signs I should be looking for? I appreciate your advice!

At two weeks I wouldn't give up hope yet. Many pullets do act bossy. But that's is too many rooster behaviors that chick is showing. A RIR pullet acts much the same as any other breed. My advice is to wait and watch. In a few weeks the rooster traits will show more when they get their feathers.

This is Laurie or Gus. Can anyone tell me if she/he is a rooster or hen?

Last edited:
Depends on where you got them. Did you buy the sexed chicks from a hatchery/feed store? Hatcheries vent sex, which is not always 100% accurate. That chick is kind of looking a little masculine to me at the moment, a few more weeks of age on it and the true sex should be more obvious.

Not yet. I just posted this yesterday. I have been told by many it's still too early to tell. Sexing is supposed to be pretty accurate. I was told 95% probability the sexing is correct - obviously, we'll see. It seems a lot of people with RIR ask the same question, so perhaps it's just the bread. I'm not sure what I'll do, I can only have hens. Does your look like mine? What makes you think you have roos? Although mine has a large comb it's mostly her behavior that has me scared. She's so assertive.

i have 5 rir chicks 5 weeks old and have the same problem i have 1 chick that im positive its a roo it has a large red comb and waddles already and have 2 more chicks that have large combs but no waddle and their combs are slightly pink my other 2 rir have small yellow combs so im pretty sure they are hens

Back
Top Bottom