Do I have a Bantam ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by I*Eat*Chickens*Yum, Jul 16, 2008.

1. I*Eat*Chickens*Yum

I*Eat*Chickens*Yum Chillin' With My Peeps

I ordered 6 Barred Rock chicks from MM.

They are all 14 weeks old and 5 of the 6 are very large. The 6th bird is at least half the size of the rest. At least half the size !

She is healthy, very active and eats great, has nice clean feathers and bright cheery eyes so I don't suspect a health issue.

Is it possible that MM accidentally mixed in a bantam? or is it normal to have a "runt" amongst chickens ? Just wondering .

2. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Sometimes chicks will be much smaller than the rest, pretty much a 'runt' but they usually catch up when they get older, but will always be a bit on the small side. But it is possible that you got a bantam, who knows!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have 7 barred rocks that I got from MMH almost 12 weeks ago. Mine are all the same size but one has a beautiful straight tail. With the other 6 they curve down at the end. They all still look like pullets... perhaps it's still too early to tell.

4. Greyscale Rainbow

Greyscale Rainbow Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2008
    Bristol, England
    I got my Lily from a farm where it became quite obvious that the old man had more chickens (he said 300+) than he could cope with. From what I could see and what he told me, he had LF Marans, Araucanas and Leghorns. I had gone there with the intention of buying a LF araucana hen. I bought what I thought was a 6wo pullet, and took her home. However, she never quite grew to anywhere near the size I was expecting, despite me not having seen any bantams on his farm. She also lays white eggs [​IMG] . I have since heard that chickens can have dwarfism like humans can, so maybe this is what happened to Lily and your hen?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by