Do I have a BLRW roo????

Thanks HEChicken! I'm relatively new to chicken ownership and this was clearly unexpected. Any tips on where to find information on how to breed them properly? I'm assuming if I want chicks for myself I can hatch any of them, but if I want to sell them I should only use the ones from a pair of the same breed? And since these came from the same lot, should I not breed them at all? So much more to consider now! I don't want to get rid of him, he's one of the six originals we have left! Thanks for your advice, this is my first day as an official member, and I'm starting to wonder why I didn't join before!

You shouldn't need to do much about breeding - he will take care of that himself
smile.png
It will then be your choice as to which eggs to hatch. As you say, if it is just for egg-layers for your own flock, you can hatch any egg that is laid (keeping in mind that 50% of what hatches will be more roosters). If you are wanting to sell them, there is a better market for pure breed birds than mutts but if you market them as just "egg layers" and let buyers know they are mixed, you may still find people willing to buy, if all they want is a flock to produce eggs.

Keep in mind that if you got these guys from a hatchery, their quality is likely lower than what you would get from a breeder. That is fine for pets and egg layers but if you are talking about breeding, you won't be able to breed super high quality birds from hatchery stock. However for the same reason, there probably isn't a problem letting your rooster breed with your hen acquired from the same hatchery, since it is unlikely (with all the birds the hatchery has) that yours are related.

I've gotten all of my birds from a local breeder, so I'm not even sure how to hatch. I figured that I would cross that bridge if I ever got a broody one, or try to find ways to encourage broodiness once I have more room. For now he seems to be fine just being "one of the girls", although the past few days he's been more independent, but still likes to snuggle up on the ground with the rest of them. Maybe he's just enjoying his harem!

If a hen goes broody there is almost nothing you need to do - she will do it ALL for you! I love broodies! The only thing I recommend is that if you have a broody, find a way to give her her own space. If you can section off a small corner of the coop for her with a piece of chicken wire, that is all she really needs, but it will help her to brood in peace. If not segregated in this way, the other hens will squeeze in to lay their eggs, and depending on her status in the flock, she may be forced out of the nest while this is going on. Broody hens can be so determined to sit that if kicked out of a nest, they may just go sit in another nest. Then, when the hen laying her egg is done, she walks off and leaves the eggs to go cold. So I have found that giving them their own space avoids all of those issues.

I have a hen brooding a few eggs right now. I just took some wire, and cordoned off a small area for her. She has her own little feeder and waterer and seems happy as can be in there.

She will keep the eggs the perfect temperature and humidity for development and hatch. After they hatch she will continue to keep the chicks warm. She'll serve as a jungle gym for them to climb all over her. She'll show them where the food and water are and teach them how to eat and drink. Later, when she is out in the yard, she will show them what is good to eat and what to avoid. She will look out for dangers and call them to her if she senses any danger, letting them snuggle under her safely. You won't need to do anything but watch and enjoy!

That sounds like so much fun! Will she also protect them from the other hens and roo, or do they need to be kept completely separate?

It does depend some on the individual hen and also what her position in the flock is. My first broody was close to the top of the pecking order and no one dared to mess with her. She was also older for being a first time mother. The next broody was very young (had only been laying 6 weeks) and much lower in the pecking order. I don't think she would have been as self-confident about protection but it never really was an issue - the rest of the flock left the new little ones alone anyway.

I usually keep them in their separate little broody area for only a few days. Mama Hen lets me know when she is ready to get out. The first few days she seems to be pretty content to stay in the cordoned off area. At that point the chicks need to nap often and she is teaching them about eating, drinking etc. But after those first few days, in my experience the hen usually wants to get out and be with the rest of the flock. At that point I will open up the area and let them out, staying near for a long time to keep a close eye on things. To date I really haven't had any issues.

Yes he is a BLRW Splash rooster. He is cute!
I got my first 8 hens in June, they were all around 3 months. My Blue Laced Red Wyandottes are by far the slowest maturing, but they are now around 6-7 months, and one looks so much different than the other two. I was under the impression that by 3 months gender would be obvious, but I'm not convinced. JayJay is much bigger, different colored, differently feathered than the other two that I have. At first I thought it was just cross breeding, but now I'm thinking she might be a he. Is it possible to have a late blooming rooster? No crowing, all three have kind of still had more peeping sounds than anything until today, and JayJay seems to have a more growly voice all of a sudden. What do you think???

Back
Top Bottom