Do I have a boy and a girl? (Serama/Serama mixes)

Ok here's an update.
I'm pretty sure they are both still girls. I'm I do not think I'm seeing/noticing any hackle/saddle feathers on them, but I could be wrong.
So I took lots of pictures of them in the best quality I could manage.
Anyways, I did try to take close ups on spots that would help determined sex. I'm going to say they are both girls for reasons stated above. The feathers are not looking long/pointy rooster like but rather wide rounded hen like feathers near the neck/tail area.
Click photos for the larger versions!

Button

Pumpkin

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing is that's the only thing that makes Button look like a roo. I would think I'd see noticeable saddle or hackle feathers by now? Not saying your wrong. I'm just curious as to if she were a roo where is the other boy traits that should be visible right now?
I don't mind either way though. A boy would be nice.
On another note they will "spare" sometimes. But that is normal behavior for pullets/hens I hear and even more normal for seramas as I've noticed the one's I've raised before tend to be more solitary towards other chickens. And rather be on there own than with others at times.
Defiantly more of a "pet" breed chicken than chickens you raise for eggs :) Mine are super friendly and have a basket which they happily sit in. That way they can be next to me without the mess. They will cry till I pick them both up and set them in their basket sometimes. To cute and funny.

Bonus picture by the way!

I'm guessing a few months old. They are almost full grown/adults.
Fully feathered and starting to mature into adults. They aren't really peeping anymore they've got some adult chicken voices now.

Last edited:
Well it looks like you all are right!
I thought he was a he when I first got them. But when I originally posted here a few weeks ago people were saying he was a she.
But my gut instinct and the latest answers I've gotten prove to be right Button is a boy. I woke up to some very pathetic attempts to crow hehe!
He is a good boy though quieted right down when I went upstairs and petted them both and fed them. Now I got them in their basket and they are just happy as can be.
Seems he only crows to get my attention and when he has it he stops.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom